If you are looking to hire a crane, you might find these facts about cranes interesting. At St George Cranes, we are proud to be one of the best crane rental companies in Sydney, offering quality cranes for rent with or without crane operators. Cranes are fantastic and are critical for big construction jobs such as skyscrapers, office buildings, bridges, tunnels and much more.
Without cranes, we would have never been able to see the massive skylines that shape Sydney. Check out these 7 interesting facts to learn more about cranes:
- The first crane created by a human was built by the Ancient Greeks, more than 2500 years ago. Although it was powered by humans and animals, those primitive cranes are the reason why we have fascinating structures of the Ancient World, such as the Parthenon.
- Many decades later, the ‘jib’ was added to the Greek’s basic version of cranes, which powered the crane and allowed it to move horizontally, not just vertically. This allowed it to be used in harbours to unload cargo from ships.
- When this technology came to life in the 19th century, it was added to cranes to replace the need for animals and humans to power cranes.
- The first mobile crane was made in the 1950s thanks to the technology of strong steel manufacturing, which created a need for reliable trucks that could carry mobile cranes.
- There are over 200,000 cranes globally, over half of these are used for construction projects.
- The tallest crane worldwide can lift up to 18 tonnes at 44 meters/minute. It was used in the construction of the Kingdom Tower in Saudi Arabia, which is the world’s tallest building.
- There are many different types of cranes to suit various applications and purposes, such as tight access cranes, mobile cranes, city cranes, and much more.
If you’re looking to hire a crane in Sydney, contact the team at St George Cranes now for affordable crane rentals.